Contacts » Health


Health Office Information

District Health Information

Oak Valley Middle School, 16055 Winecreek Road, San Diego, CA 92127
Normal Office Hours: 8:00am to 3:30pm M-F

Tatiana Braga, Health Technician
858-487-2939 Ext. 6129
[email protected]

Pertussis (Whooping Cough)

Students must obtain a Health Office Pass or a note from their teacher to go to the Health Office. In case of an emergency, a pass permission is not required.

* With a temperature of 100, student needs to go home
*With a normal temperature, students rest for 10-15 minutes and are re-evaluated. At that point they either return to class OR call a parent to discuss their situation.

*Minor wounds are cleansed and bandaged, and the student is sent back to class.
*Ice pack are given for sprains/strains.
*Serious injuries-parents are always called.

Please note:
School health offices are staffed with a health technician; there is not a nurse on campus. For nursing questions contact health services or your family physician's office


All District health forms are available from the District Health page
According to California state law, prescription and non-prescription medications are permitted to be taken at school ONLY with a written statement from the physician AND a written statement from the parent or guardian. For medication to be kept in the Health Office and administered by the Health Tech download "Parent Authorization for Medication Administration" (PUSD Form H-26). Written information that must be provided is the student's name, name of medication, and physician's instructions detailing the method, amount, and time the medication is to be given, as well as parent/guardian and physician signature. This information is required for all medication, including over-the-counter Tylenol, Ibuprofen, cold/allergy medications, etc. All medication MUST be in a bottle that is labeled with the student's name and the above information. NO PLASTIC BAGGIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Students who must carry their medication with them (i.e. inhalers)  (PUSD Form H-26B). For students with severe allergies that need emergency medication please complete the "Allergy and Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan" form (PUSD Form H-58).  Please call if you have any questions or concerns.

Prescription and Non-prescription Medication:

  1. Complete an Authorization for Medication Administration form (H-26). The form requires the signatures of you and your physician. If your student needs immediate access to his/her medication, complete the Self Carry Authorization for Medication form (H-26B)
  2. Give the completed form to the site Health Technician at the same time you deliver the medication.
  3. Be sure the medication is in a pharmacy-labeled container stating the child's full name, proper dosage and time of medication. Long-Term Medication: Give the Health Technician a two-week supply of medication. The Health Office does not have enough room to store larger quantities. Be sure to replenish the medication supply as needed.

The following medications may be administered to your child without a physician's signature: Sunscreen, Lip Balm, Throat Lozenges, Cough Drops. NOTE: medication must be in the original package marked with student's name.

Parents bear the primary responsibility in providing medication for their students. Whenever possible, medication is to be administered at home. A parent has the option to personally administer medication(s) to his/her student at any time. Health assistance at school is provided to support student learning and attendance. Medication administration is provided under the direction of the Health Services Department.

California Education Code, Section: 49423.5 allows for specialized health care services such as a Diabetes Management Plan to be performed by trained designated school staff under indirect supervision of a Credentialed School Nurse.
All supplies/equipment (medication, food, glucose tester, lancets, etc.) must be supplied by the parent/guardian.
The Diabetic Management Plan must be completed by the parent/guardian AND physician, and must be signed on appropriate page(s) of procedure.  Diabetic Plans from medical facilities (i.e. Children’s Hospital) are acceptable, but the front page of the PUSD Diabetic Management Plan must be signed by the parent/guardian and included with the packet.
*Diabetic Management Plan
All District health forms are available from the District Health page


Vision and Hearing Screening:
8th grade

Please remind your student to bring his/her glasses to school on the screening dates.


If a student is unable to participate in Physical Education due to illness or injury, they must have a note from a parent/guardian that states the following:
* Name of student
* Date
* Reason for exemption
* Parent/guardian name and signature
* Daytime phone number
A student may be excused for up to three (3) days with a parent note.
A physician must certify exemptions that exceed 3 days. This should include the diagnosis/reason for exemption.
For medical conditions that require an adjusted PE, please have your doctor complete the "Physician Authorization for Physical Education" (PUSD Form H-64)
All District health forms are available from the District Health page


The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has set forth new regulations that are effective for the 2019-2020 school year. Parents and guardians are required to show proof of their child's immunization records for all incoming TK/K-12 students and/or students advancing to the 7th grade in a California school.

The new regulations have eliminated age-based restrictions and now require 2 doses of MMR, 2 Varicella, and 3 Hepatitis B doses at admission or transfer more uniformly throughout TK/K-12th grade. All students advancing to the 7th grade must meet the dosing requirement of an additional dose of pertussis-containing vaccine (Tdap) on or after the seventh birthday and two doses of Varicella (Health and Safety Code section 120335, subdivision (c)). For more specific information about immunization requirements, please visit or contact the county office of education at (858) 569-5300.

In accordance with Senate Bill 277, the regulations also state that exemptions for immunizations based on personal/religious beliefs are no longer accepted for all incoming TK/K students and students advancing to the seventh grade. Students with a temporary medical exemption may be valid for no longer than a 12 month period of time. Current students with existing personal/religious belief waivers and/or temporary medical exemptions are required to begin receiving any missing immunizations prior to advancing into TK/K and 7th grade. For more information about SB 277 frequently asked questions and shot schedules, please visit

See PUSD Immunization Requirements for School Age Children
For more information contact PUSD Health Services at (858) 521-2800 or visit their website at PUSD Health Services